Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Barbara Kingsolver; the rock star of my book world

Yes, Barbara Kingsolver, one of my top five authors of all time is coming to speak tomorrow night at Emory University. And I get to go! My love of her began with the book The Bean Trees, which I read about twelve or so years ago. It has been my favorite book to give to women, over the past decade. She wrote it as a result of having insomnia while she was pregnant. Rue Kream, who wrote a wonderful unschooling book, Parenting a Free Child, also wrote with the help of insomnia. This should inspire me to move to the computer in the middle of my insomniac nights, but it hasn't, yet...

I love all of Barbara Kingsolver's books. When I took that book quiz a few months ago I was defined as being her novel, The Poisonwood Bible, which made me so happy.

And now she is coming here, to Emory, to speak to the importance of eating locally produced, organic food. I only started reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral (the book that has provoked this book tour) this week. I am loving it. She speaks to the dying art of valuing your family and your country through the culture of food; of how important a meal, lovingly made (and even grown) together as a family, no matter how busy we are, can be. The book has me ordering cheese making materials to make my own cheese using our local organic dairy guy's raw milk, for which I will make the hour long drive every two weeks to get the milk.

Barbara Kingsolver's talk is kicking off a week, in Atlanta, of celebrating eating locally produced food. Nicolas, his mother and Gillen's pictures will be displayed at Georgia Organics headquarters, for some celebration, along with the portraits of lots of other farmers, on Monday. We will have a booth at a farmers market to be set up at Emory this Friday. I so hope that Barbara Kingsolver gets the urge to come buy a local tomato or a pepper so I can gaze upon her reverentially, maybe even get my voice to make a few intelligible sounds in her direction.

Later: I found out that Ms. Kingsolver is being fed our farm food tonight for dinner, before her talk. Our arugula, eggs, beans, tomatoes, and some others that I can't remember. SO cool.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Might sound strange but I was wondering this week if she was coming to Emory, as you'd mentioned. Partly because we went to see Garrison Keillor this week, and stayed after so my in-laws could get his new book signed. Oh, so take your book with you! Have an awesome time. I thought she was a really engaging speaker, not surprisingly.

Cami said...

Lucky, lucky girl! Eating YOUR food? I think that's one of the coolest things ever! Can't wait to hear about it.

Tamar Orvell said...

Hearing a rock star of our choice (not necessarily one who carries a tune) is like visiting w a dearly beloved friend. How fortunate for you to have this treat. How did you find out she was in town?

Where at Emory will you be Friday w the pix and food and all that great stuff? Is there a web link to the event(s)? If possible, maybe I can come, too!

Madeline Rains said...

Tamar, I am sorry that I didn't link to the market. I couldn't find a good link. I am afraid that we won't have a booth there (this morning) as we are in between seasons and a lot of the stuff we do have is going to restaurants' big orders for the eat local week. There will be other farmers there.

But come to the Morningside Market, our weekly organic market on N. Highland Ave., on Sat. morning (until 11:30am) and I will be there this week. I'd love to meet you IRL.

Tamar Orvell said...

Thanks for your prompt reply. Totally looking forward to meeting IRL another time. This Saturday is Yom Kippur. Nothing but saving a life will interrupt, distract, lure, tempt me from focusing on the spiritual work of this day. Key business: contemplating choices made the past year and the consequences, also errors and mis-takes (two words intended) made toward self, community, and cosmos. Then, moving forward, hopefully wiser, more aware of choices, responsibilities, attitudes, behaviors.

Madeline Rains said...

Thanks for the definition of Yom Kippur. It sounds very valuable and powerful.