Monday, February 11, 2008

Movies

Just a few posts ago, I was talking about how great it would be if life were like a musical, even soldiers on the front lines of war being moved by one another's songs enough to put down their arms. Well, apparently, it doesn't just happen in old musicals. Nicolas and I watched a film last night that tells the true story of how this actually happened, for two days, during WWI."Joyeux Noel" takes place on Christmas Eve, 1914, when French, Scottish and German soldiers all put down their weapons and even shared their lives,champagne and a sermon, all as a result of hearing one another's music. It is a great film that Nicolas and I almost missed seeing as a result of the name. I had placed it on my netflix queue so long ago that I forgot what it was about.

Another wildly-acclaimed (by more than one blogging woman that I respect) tribute to the power of music is making its way Across the Universe to our mailbox. I can't wait.

8 comments:

hahamommy said...

I can't wait til you see it! Imagine me there with you, laughing, singing and crying together ♥ You'll be singing for MONTHS!!! Today I walked into the office to hear H singing fallin, yes I am fallin, and she keeps callin, me back again (I've just seen a face... sung by a very dreamy Jude... aaaah)

The WWI thing... SCB and I have talked about this day (he's a war history buff) and how it breaks my heart -- did it stop war forever? did it make us respect one another outside of that ONE day? NO NO NO NO NO!! I don't think it's respectful of Jesus to follow his path on ONE freaking day of the year... how is that behavior justified by Christians the other 364 days a year?? (See what I mean? Issues!!) I'm glad it was a good movie. Maybe I'll watch it with SCB and pretend it's fictional ;)

kelli said...

You'll love it. :) If there's anyway you can watch the extras, do so. It's so cool seeing Julie Taylor's visions as they came to fruition. (Kyra is singing, "all you need is love.." right now :D

kelli said...

can you tell I'm in a hurry and should be packing?...ugh, you know I meant, any (space) way. *g*

anyways... :)

Donck Family said...

I just watched the trailer on utube. sound like a must see.

Yolanda said...

Is this movie really good? It sounds interesting .

Madeline Rains said...

Diana, I do see what you mean. And for the most part the guys who put down their arms did as well (though out of fear they couldn't keep it up). The boardroom strategists found out and had their revenge. Horribly sad thought that nothing really changes, yes, but it gives me hope that it could happen and in a more real way, another time. It was moving to me that a soldier, so well brainwashed, could have the courage to make such a move, yk?

Now, on to Beatles joy! I love that Hayden and Kyra like the music. Gillen thinks he doesn't. I am hoping he watches with us tonight.

hahamommy said...

Hayden's been anti-Beatles since Hannah died :( He's said he'll only watch Across the Universe with me because Evan Rachel Woods (Lucy) is dating Marilyn Manson (If Marilyn likes her...) :D He has yet to see it, though the music is obviously contagious ♥

hahamommy said...

Scotty and I watched Joyeux Noel yesterday (?? Saturday, I think!). What a delightful film, really. I was pleasantly surprised. I cried, because I always do. And I found joy, because I always do. I'm glad I watched it. I feel much better now :D