Thursday, February 19, 2009

Play

Last night, I found Jesse creating a stage for our resident head panda, Rosalinafini, and an auditorium for her audience. This set-up changed rooms a few times.
At the park the other day, ready to take on the monsters of the lake after "spreading" the water with pine needles to be able to allow them to emerge.
Lately, Jesse seems to be entering a new lighter, less serious and intellectual stage. Where he has always been called "old" for his age, into reading long book series and doing difficult puzzles and philosophizing about everything, lately he is all about silly jokes (the more pointless the better) squeaky, grandiose complaining (gotta have the ying with the yang ) and he is even more into imaginative play with his friends. He picked out a Charlie Brown DVD from the library a few days ago. We all giggled through it together last night. I hope that Gillen and Jesse will always keep their love of play and will mix in the innocent old favorites as their lives become more worldly and responsible. I remember how scared I was, on my tenth birthday, that being two digits now meant that I had to give up playing with my dolls. My mother answered my fear with the reassurance that I could play with my own kids someday. While I have loved playing with them, I hope that they don't ever feel like the time has come to "put away childish things" for a more mature perspective, on hold in terms of free play until the next generation comes along.

5 comments:

gail said...

Have a mentioned how much I love your blog? I really enjoy reading it and can't wait to see you again.
I tagged you...Hope you don't mind.
http://gail-hummingbirdhaven.blogspot.com/2009/02/hooked-on-your-blog-six-things.html

Madeline Rains said...

Ah Gail. Thanks! I can't wait to see you either.

Rachel said...

Aw, I'm sad to think of that almost 10 year old girl thinking it would be a really long time before she would get to "play" again.

Madeline Rains said...

It was a sad moment but my mom meant well. She just didn't love playing in the same way I did.

Jodi said...

that 2nd photo of him is gorgeous. it's funny to me - i'm watching your boys grow up so fast and I only know them through your blog. Your nurturing your little adventurers so well M x