Sunday, July 12, 2009

Drummer Boy

Friday night, Gillen's percussion day camp had their concert on the square in Rutledge. It is amazing what Eva and her talented professional musician friend accomplished in a week. We are so lucky to have Eva nearby. She is also my zumba teacher. I have taught at a few theater camps and I no longer have what it takes to do it right. She could write the book.

What a cool camp. The kids got to pick between four countries - Brazil, India, Cuba, Spain, and the continent of Africa. Each group learned their country's specific rhythm, on gourd and goat skin drums that they all made for themselves the first day. They also sewed their costumes and painted the set. Gillen loved this camp.

The concert highlight:These boys represented Brazil; they also represented what music, and Eva, can do. They are brothers who live with their grandmother. They rocked! It was good to see them getting positive attention.

Gillen chose Spain because he had started a friendship with one of the other guys who chose Spain. Turns out that the Spanish rhythm is really challenging - it's a 12/13 time. The guy who taught them could not believe how well Gillen could keep the rhythm. He talked about getting Gillen a scholarship to take drumming in Atlanta. Gillen wants to stick to guitar, and to taking it locally.Gillen really liked the drumming but was much more impressed with this photographer and what she had to offer (Eva is the one directing the kids from below as only a yoga/zumba teacher could). He met the photographer one day in Rutledge's Caboose ice cream shop. Gillen commented on her worn cowboy boots and said that he had some that were even more worn. She asked how they could possibly be more worn then hers. Gillen explained that he was a turkey farmer and told her about our farm. Turns out she has been trying to relocate our contact information for years. She has been wanting to do another story on the farm. What trumped the drumming compliments, to Gillen, was that she is going to do a story about his turkeys!

Rural Georgia is meeting the kids' needs. My city prejudices are withering away, after fifteen years, in the unexpected opportunities held in our small town life.

9 comments:

mrs boo radley said...

This is so fabulous!

Ren Allen said...

Lovely. Can you hear my wistful sigh? I need my farm....where, oh where could it be?:)

Madeline Rains said...

Thanks, mrs. boo radley.

Ren, could it be near ours? Can you hear my hint? Anyway, you are growing things and ideas all over the place already, farmergirl.

Sarah said...

Oh, fantastic! I so wish that there were options like this near us. Rural Idaho is a bit different from rural Georgia, but the times, they are a'changin', so maybe in a few years we'll have options like that nearby.

Unknown said...

Sounds like Gillen had a wonderful time and I'm glad for him! When you come to visit us, he is more than welcome to beat out a rhythm on our drums!

Michael said...

This sounds brilliant, but I really hope they didn't give the kids the impression that Africa is a country, or is homogeneous. Africa's a great big continent with 53 countries in it.

mindy said...

Yay Gillen! I love drumming and I can just see that boy totally wailing :)

Madeline Rains said...

Michael, they didn't say country - I was not paying attention and said countries when writing the post. I should have reread. oops. Thanks for pointing it out.

Shanna said...

Could it be that reading your post about the caboose I used to play in as a child will get me to visit the cemetary where my father and grandfather are buried? I can't believe that this is the same town I once owned. (in MY mind, and of course, those on my block of Main Street)