Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Potatoes


I like potatoes, but mostly when they are mashed or scalloped with lots of butter, milk or cheese. Tonight we tried Nicolas' potatoes just boiled (well, with a big pat of butter on each plate to apply to each bite). It was so interesting to really savor each different kind and taste the subtle differences. The different varieties are: Huckleberry (red with a red tint to the inside as well), Ruby Crescent Fingerling and Yukon Gold. I prefer the tiny fingerlings. Most of the time, with produce, tiny is better. The corn meal encrusted okra fried in coconut oil was the best part of the meal so I ate it without any thought of taking its picture.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Ooooooh, I'm jealous of your fried okra ;) We were just given a huge bucket of potatoes (don't know what kind, I assume they're Idaho potatoes being in Idaho? Is that right?) so we'll be having some sort of potato fixing with our meals for a while to come.

Tamar Orvell said...

i'm mad about potatoes, especially this time of year. i slit mine lengthwise and nuke and then steer clear of butter. they are so yummy, who needs anything else?

i dread fried stuff and coconut oil. tho adore okra, especially in gumbo.

i heard the tip on small is more tasty; thanks for confirming.

Madeline Rains said...

Tamar, butter is good for you! : ) I can't imagine a potato without butter. Read about butter at the weston price site too.

Unknown said...

OMG, I am so trying that for my fried okra. I envy you living so near the farm and all that fresh produce. I see my next trip to YDFM will include okra!