Thursday, August 02, 2007

Up the creek, with friends


Yesterday, we got together with our local home school play group friends at one friend's new home - a beautiful home that comes with a creek! We have been getting together every Wed. for years with these families to play at the park. Yesterday was the first time in a while we have all been together. I was struck by how old and how big everybody is getting. They all take up so much more room. It was especially fun for me, yesterday, to watch Gillen and a girl named Shannon, who will turn twelve a few days after Gillen turns ten. When they were really young, these two never played together much. Their love of nature, animals and playmobil (and maybe both being an oldest sibling and a Leo) drew them together more as they got older. It was fun to watch their interaction yesterday - still so innocent and not afraid of each other in that way you get about "girls" and "boys" in school. But Gillen was definitely a bit goofier than normal!

He was a giggling mess this morning, when we read a sentence in _Harry P. and the Deathly Hollows_ about someone (don't want to give anything away) kissing Harry. He threw his head under all the couch pillows in horror! I don't think it had occured to me, until today, that he will one day have a crush, and a girl friend, and maybe get married. Wow. I mean , yeah, I knew it was a possibility, waaaay back in my mind...

Back to the creek - nothing is better than a summer day at a creek.






6 comments:

Donck Family said...

Gillen being goofy, step one of liking a girl. It's funny last week Stacy asked if we had any BD's coming up and i said Gillen and Alexander turning ten. How time flies. I remember your wedding like it was last year. The pictures look like they had a blast. Love Damien

kelli said...

Looks like soo much fun!

Diana and I were just talking about those special friendships between girls and boys. How school and some parents seem to squash them. A couple of Kyra's best friends used to be boys, but once they went to school they stopped calling and stopped returning calls. Sad.

Vicki said...

Love the pic of all the kids running down the creek!

Bhu said...

i love the photos!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful creek, so much fun! I long for such a group here. My dh had a not so sane moment and was considering preschool for our dd so she could have some friends, I talked him into gymnastics and dance class.
I'm looking at the camera you suggested, the pentax, thanks!

julie said...

wow, those creek pictures are so joyful and real and wonderful!!
How I wish for those friendships for my children.
:-)