Thursday, February 12, 2009

Music and light


The windows were open today and the sun was shining bright. I got to do more crafting, we finished reading my book (Gillen and Jesse judged it as being a great story and asked me to please make it longer so I'm going to do a second draft ) and the kids got to know their new instruments better. They both got excited about learning an instrument, separately, just in the past few months. For Jesse, it was a Manheim Steamroller Concert that inspired a wish to get a violin (thanks to Kelli for the concert inspiration and the violin:). Gillen heard a song while making a video with Alex that had great guitar riffs and he has been asking to play for a month. We finally got him his own guitar this week. They both wanted to take lessons as well.

So we are getting to know the sound of strings, with no strings attached. I was made to take piano for years as a kid and to practice for what seemed like hours every day. I won't do the same to them. I hope that they enjoy these new instruments and that if they stop enjoying them, they put them down for a while (or forever) without losing their confidence in themselves as musicians, or their joy about music. If Gillen loses interest in the guitar, both Nicolas and I are eager to try it out. Maybe we'll all end up playing strings. If I were bigger and stronger, and less intimidated by my age, I'd pick up the cello.

10 comments:

mindy said...

I love these pictures of your fellas. Gillan looks like he just needs to be playing and rockin' out with that guitar.

kelli said...

Awesome! You know, you so don't have to be big and strong to play the cello, there are 3/4 cellos ;)

Christina said...

Pick up that cello! That's exactly what John Holt did in his later adulthood. Be fearless, like your kids!

As with other string instruments, cellos come in various sizes for children and smaller adults.

I'm an unschooling parent in my mid-40s and just started to play the harp, my first instrument ever. Love it.

Christina said...

Just remembered -- the book Holt wrote about his musical journey is called Never Too Late and is still available.

Madeline Rains said...

You know I truly was intimidated by the size (and yes, my brain) so it's good to know about the smaller sizes. I should have realized that. I will have to read that book by John Holt. Thanks.

Dina said...

Maddie, I DARE you to pick up a cello. Please oh please oh please oh please oh PLEEEEEEZE!

Madeline Rains said...

: ) Dina, you are making it very hard to bury this dream.

Dina said...

GOOD!!! Y'all can be like the Von Trapp Family Stringers!

Madeline Rains said...

Only if YOU are the group's singer. Maybe, if I can find a cheap way to learn. Maybe I could start with a video.

dharmamama said...

Madeline - I'm struck by reading this by similarities with what happened at ARGH. You were encouraging Jesse to be in the talent show, for every objection he made, you had an answer. Then, when he asked you to be in it - you were making the *exact, same* objections he had just been making the moment before! It was amusing to me.

What would you say to one of your boys if they were saying this about playing the cello? If you were your own child, wouldn't you do what you could to nurture the dream? Would you say... only if we can find a cheap way to learn? Make it happen for yourself!

I look forward to seeing you play in a talent show one day.