Friday, November 16, 2007

Strong women; a few vegetables

My friend Graciela, who just visited us for a few days, is more than ten years older and wiser than I am and yet looks amazingly young and is so vital. Kind of like my mother in law, Helen, who has two businesses at the farm - the flowers and her many egg-laying chickens, while being a naturopath as well. They are a few of the many women I know who have seemingly limitless energy when it comes to hard work. Pioneer women. Me - I am either all-out, hyper as my young boys, steam coming out of my ears, blazing with power; or I am NOT. I really respect the powerful, yet graceful, ageless women that I know. Here are two:

Graciela:

Helen:


One way to maintain strength (and joy) - eat baby turnips. My kids love them raw. But I think they are especially good when roasted (with beets, potatoes, peppers, garlic, olive oil and rosemary) at about 375 degrees for an hour. Mmmmm.

This bodacious Bok Choi was begging to be on my blog -

6 comments:

mindy said...

Thankfully, there are strong, beautiful, wise women that help us discover old paths as we forge ahead on our new ones. Oh, and those veggies! We'll have to share with you what we did with the bounty you and Nicolas bestowed upon us...absolutely fabulous!!!

Angie said...

Great post, Madeline. My best friend is actually 10 years older than me too and she looks like she is in her 20s. Lives such a great lifestyle - all organic produce - goat's milk, raises her own meat, herbalist....there has to be something to it, right?

The pictures of your greenhouse and vegetables are awesome. Your vegetables look so healthy and how do you manage not to have weeds in that greenhouse?? This is a constant battle for us. It also makes me want to live somewhere further south - those kinds of veggies in November would be great.

Thanks for the post. Have a great day.

Heather Jefferies said...

I am all over those baby turnips. I like to throw them into stews and roast them slowly. They hold their shape and texture long after the potatoes give it up!

Molly said...

Your bok choy is amazingly beautiful - much like the wonderful women you shared with us. My bok choy is not nearly as full and we have been sharing it with cabbage worms. What is your secret?

Deanne said...

That IS beautiful bok choy!

littlepurplecow said...

Helen is a beautiful woman. There's a glow to her soul.