Sunday, June 08, 2008

Jesse's Birthday Party

Jesse turns eight next week but will be in a play that day after doing a theater camp all week. His schedule is packed this month! So we celebrated him, with three other families, yesterday.

He wanted no theme this year, just milk shakes and cup cakes. Half the cup cakes had chocolate frosting and half had vanilla. We bought lots of candy with which to decorate them. For a bit, while the candy was still intact in bowls on the table, the cupcakes were laid out and I had the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate milk shakes shaking, I felt deliciously special, like an oompa loopa in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. There is nothing like a strawberry milk shake made with local, fresh strawberries, or an unexpected mojita made by Mindy with mint collected from the neighbor's back yard. Our time together was so sweet that we all were still hanging out at 11pm. We toasted Jesse for bringing us all together. It was a good day.

Here's the birthday guy after showing up to his party with Claudia and her family. She took my boys fishing all morning so I could bake and clean. He and Gillen jumped right in the pool with their clothes on. So far, it's been the hottest June I've ever known.

Notice Gillen making plans for the candy.

There was a spontaneous Pokemon card hunt at one point. Jared found a horse shoe which inspired a game of horse shoes for the dads.

Gillen and Sophie exchanging jokes at 11:00. Sophie is wearing a hat identical to the one I wear when I write. I sent her home with this one. I had two and was glad to give it to a fellow writer. She too is writing a book. The day after, I've just gotten my coffee and Nicolas is already vacuuming. I am so lucky. I do know this.

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kelli said...

Happy Birthday wishes to Jesse! Looks like it was a fun party :)

Cami said...

Happy Birthday Jesse! We'll have an 8 year old in our house soon, too. June is a great month for birthdays!

hahamommy said...

Whoa. Your Birth-day Gift is the Father of your Children, Topless, Vacuuming? You are a lucky woman indeed ;) Happy Mother's Day and Happy Father's Day to yer Hunk ♥

Madeline Rains said...

June is a great month for birthdays. Geminis. Diana, you great crazy Gemini - I love your appreciation of Nicolas.

mindy said...

What a great day/evening that was! My computer is finally trying to call it caput, so I'm hurridly trying to check blogs and email before she rolls over and dies on me. Thanks for a great party and make sure you pass along a big hug when Jesse turns eight!

Hannah said...

I love the picture of the cake-eater with his tongue out! We have an almost identical one of my son enjoying his birthday a couple of years ago. Very sweet--and you've brought back some wonderful memories for me this morning.