Monday, June 23, 2008

Local crash

I was going to prepare a local-only lunch yesterday (right at the deadline), of omelette and vegetables. Instead we had a local car crash which took my attention.

A furious thunderstorm suddenly blew in yesterday afternoon, right after Gillen had gone bike riding in the neighborhood with a neighbor. Immediately, Nicolas drove out into the deluge to go rescue them. About five minutes later, a drenched Gillen had returned. After fifteen more minutes, Nicolas still hadn't come back. Finally, I got a phone call. He had been in a wreck. He had left the house without his license and needed me to bring it to him.

Jesse and I drove in Nicolas' van to the wrong wreck (there were three that happened during that fifteen-minute storm). In the wake of that wreck, the two cars seemed to have been deposited into a giant trash compactor. Jesse got hysterical. I rolled down the window and confirmed with the cop, for Jesse, that neither of those cars were our dark green Toyota. Jesse and I are still talking about what we saw and are sending good thoughts to the victims and families of that crash.

This was good preparation for finally finding Nicolas. He was fine. The other guy was upset (it was his dying dad's car), but physically fine. Our sweet car was carried off by a tow truck. We had just paid off that car and just put a lot of money into maintenance. But Gillen was safe. Nicolas was safe. The farm was not damaged by the storm. What's a hunk of steel compared with that.

9 comments:

kelli said...

I'm glad you're all OK. That's scary.

EC said...

Gosh, I bet that was a harrowing experience for all of you. Glad everything is ok!

Hey, my blog is moving,just don't tell my MIL about it!

www.eviecurley.wordpress.com

Danielle said...

Ohhh man, tears in my eyes and a big ol' lump in my throat just even thinking about it! Poor Jesse. Those of us with vivid imaginations just live our thoughts sometimes.

Thank goodness everyone is okay. Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one, eh?

GBK Gwyneth said...

Oh my. I am so glad to hear that everyone is well, even if the car is not...

Heather Jefferies said...

A hunk of steel is absolutely nothing (other than a hunk of steel). So glad they're all right.

Angie said...

Very scary. Thank God everyone was okay.

It makes you realize what's important, doesn't it?

mindy said...

I am so sorry! Having just totalled our van in March, I know exactly how you guys feel....very happy that everyone's okay, but seriously bummed about the car.

Hannah said...

I'm so glad everything is OK! What a scary day.

Madeline Rains said...

Thanks everyone. They may be able to fix the car! We find out today.

Mindy, I kept thinking that if you had come by it wouldn't have happened - that I shouldn't have picked my writing over friends.