Saturday, August 23, 2008

One Local Summer

I'm afraid that I am posting some pictures of the same meal as last week, hopefully better ones. We did have several local-only meals - eggs, gazpacho (this time spicy), and last night , it felt like fall, so I brought home an African Squash, onions and garlic for our favorite warm soup. I am bravely posting a picture of myself, holding this newest member (this season) of our farm vegetable family, because I think it shows how much I needed a bit of warm soup. And isn't it big? This just shows one third of it. I was on the phone with my mother in law who was giving me healing advice. Thanks Helen:Red and green mixed okra (it all turns green after cooking it):Roasted purple and yukon gold potatoes, onions, garlic, red peppers, Delicata squash and beets:
A close up of the small Delicata squash:We just can't get enough fried okra right now. A woman who is volunteering at the farm and is a former chef from Woodfire Grill in Atlanta gave me a hint about the okra. She said to soak it for an hour in buttermilk and then drain well. Coat it in corn meal (with a bit of flour) and with grits, to add more crunch. I can't say I did this the other night as I wanted to wait until I could buy the locally produced grits and buttermilk but I will definitely try it in the future.

Gazpacho:We'll be out of town for a few weeks. I hope that I'll be able to post some local meals from north Georgia and N.C., if we are able to create any local meals.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Okra is something I have never tried, but would like to - do you think I'll be able to find any up here in Yankee land?

Cute picture, but you might want to have that growth looked at on your shoulder:)

Thanks for your sweet comment about Maddie on my last post - and yes, the boys are becoming an issue:)

Have a great trip.

Alecto said...

Madeline, that squash is hilarious! It looks like you're burping a baby.

Tamar Orvell said...

It's good being back on your blog after a hiatus! What's the lovely painting in the ornate frame behind you guys (that is, you and the squash)? And your pix look great. Same ol' camera? Or new one? Details, I want details, please;-)

I recall when you took off last summer to the convention. Yikes, how the year flew by.

Missed seeing you when I was at the cattle farm two weekends ago!

xo

mindy said...

Madeline, is that the squash from which the lovely soup was made? I have been dining every day on that soup, and finally finished it up today(Saturday)! Good Golly! It was delicious! Thanks much.

aoc gold said...

Bed In Summer

(1)

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light. 。

In summer quite the other way,

I have to go to bed by day.

(2)

I have to go to bed and see

The birds still hopping on the tree,

Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street. 。

(3)

And does it not seem hard to you,

When all the sky is clear and blue,

And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?
-----by wow powerleveling

ting said...

designer fashion handbags
Louis Vuitton
gucci
hermes
chanel
designer fashion handbags
replica Louis Vuitton handbags
replica gucci handbags
replica hermes handbags
replica chanel handbags
designer fashion handbags
designer Louis Vuitton handbags
designer gucci handbags
designer hermes handbags
designer chanel handbags
designer fashion handbags
knockoff Louis Vuitton handbags
knockoff gucci handbags
knockoff hermes handbags
knockoff chanel handbags
designer fashion handbags
cheap Louis Vuitton handbags
cheap gucci handbags
cheap hermes handbags
cheap chanel handbags
designer fashion handbags
discount Louis Vuitton handbags
discount gucci handbags
discount hermes handbags
discount chanel handbags

Louis Vuitton outlet
gucci outlet
chanel purses
hermes birkin