Saturday, September 01, 2007

This moment

Since Gillen joined a more competitive soccer team six weeks ago, Jesse has realized how long practice can be and how short his own soccer-brother-patience is (listen, it's been hard for his soccer-mom!) On Saturday mornings, he has chosen instead to go with Nicolas to our farmers' market in Atlanta. I wake him up at 5:15a.m to help him get ready for when Nicolas comes back from picking up the vegetables.

Surprisingly, since I am not a morning person, this is one of my favorite times of the week: gently rousing him from his bed; listening to his half-awake, soft musings; getting what he suddenly decides he will need for later, when he gets tired of helping man the booth with his papa. He always takes whichever Harry Potter book he is re-reading, a pillow, and a back pack filled with yu gi oh cards.

I can't believe my youngest is already seven. I want to always remember this time - his nose still small, his dreams brazenly brave and big and his still light body nesting easily within mine, in this once a week, early morning moment.

1 comment:

littlepurplecow said...

Oh, I know that feeling of wanting to stop time and soak in the moment.