Saturday, April 28, 2007

Birding competition



It has started! The 2007 GA youth birding competition began an hour and a half ago and goes until 6pm tomorrow. They have to identify the birds themselves, no help from the adults. Two members of the team have to see a bird and agree on the identification before they can have it checked off the list. Tomorrow night, at Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center, the check lists are gone over and the winning teams are announced. Prizes are given. There is a Raptor demonstration and a feast.

Gillen and Jesse are on a small team. It's just them and two boys whose father is an ornithologist. Only Gillen (of the four) has been passionate about birds for a while. But what's cool is that Gillen isn't that competitive when it comes to this. I think he is just excited to be birding with other kids.

I took them around the neighborhood at 6pm and they already found 9 birds. Even a Roufus Hummingbird (we never see those) and a Red-bellied Woodpecker. Now, Nicolas is birding with them at the farm and then tommorow they have to get up at 6am to go meet the rest of the "Lightning Eagles" for the day.

I never really noticed birds much before Gillen became so aware of them. I am so thankful that he did.

I would love to be out there owling with them. I have been dizzy for the past three days (I think it's my old Chronic Fatigue Syndrome trying to come back in) and I am going to take it easy for a while. I know I'll feel better tomorrow.

No comments: